Thursday, September 23, 2010

World Building #12: Makara

Time to give you a cartographical update:



As you can see, I've finally named my setting. Now, some of you might be wondering where this name comes from. Some obscure piece of myth? Some literary reference? Some fascinating etymological search?

Nah. It happened mostly by happenstance.

I was discussing what I should name my setting with a few IRC buddies when my good friend Makari came into the channel. Hilarity ensued.

[9:44pm] [Ominous] Let's name it Makara.
[9:44pm] [Ominous] After Makari.
[9:44pm] [Makari] o.O?
[9:44pm] [Virgil] Right place, right time. :)
[9:44pm] [Makari] What are we naming now?
[9:44pm] [AdStroh] >.>
[9:44pm] [kpenguin] Makara

[9:44pm] [Makari] you?

[9:44pm] [kpenguin] that actually has a nice ring to it
[9:44pm] [kpenguin] Makara
[9:45pm] [Ominous] That's why I suggeste dit.
[9:45pm] [HOURAISAN] Occidentalia dammit
[9:45pm] [Ominous] Most of my names are derivatives of other names.
[9:45pm] [HOURAISAN] YAAAAAAAA
[9:45pm] [Virgil] Not everyday you get a continent named after you.
[9:45pm] » Virgil applauds
[9:45pm] [Makari] Yaaaaay. :D
[9:46pm] [kpenguin] Okay, Makari
[9:46pm] [kpenguin] The continent my setting is set in is named after you
Now, as for the map itself, you'll notice that I've moved around the elf and human nations, placing the elves in the center of the continent and decentralizing the humans into three different regions. Furthermore, the entire continent as shifted onto the equator, which gives the elves a jungle to live in. Appropriate, since the jungle is where wood is most wild.

Now, I want the orcs to still be in a fairly cold area, so I'm shrinking the planet into half the size of Earth. The planet is also twice as dense, so the gravity will be the same.

Any other physics problems with this will be resolved with magic.

No comments:

Post a Comment