Friday, June 18, 2010

Saw Toy Story 3

There's something magical about Pixar.

Now, some think that they've begun to lose their touch. Some found Wall-E preachy and pretentious or Up to be confusing and uninspired. Pixar, however, has never missed its mark for me.

And today was no different. You see, today I watched Toy Story 3. And it was amazing. I don't know how Pixar managed to make a trilogy where all three films were incredible, but they did. I mean, the only trilogy that I can think of that comes close is the original Star Wars trilogy, and even that is marred by the inclusion of ewoks in Return of the Jedi.

But I digress.

I will try to stave off spoiling the film because, by golly, everyone deserves to receive the full experience.

Let's start with the opening, a visualization of one of Andy's playtimes with his toys. I don't believe I've laughed as long or as hard at the beginning of a film in ages. This puts the carefree fun, creativity, and imagination of child's play in full display. It made me nostalgic not only of previous Toy Story films but of my own playtimes with my toys. The best thing I can compare it to is Axe Cop, but even Axe Cop lacks one of the key element of playing with toys: you don't get every toy ever. You only have the toys you have and you make the best story with them. And that's what they did.

The movie begins on that high note and then plunges darkly into a world of abandoned toys. While I'm usually against making films "darker and edgier", Toy Story 3's dark spots are not an attempt to be "cool" but a genuine depth. The ultimate theme of the movie is one of past relationships slowly fading and of moving on. This is something that especially pulled my heartstrings, as these same ideas are ones I grapple with as I leave high school behind and move forward into college. Perhaps Pixar knew that the same kids who grew up watching Toy Story were the ones going off to new lives today.

That's not to say that the film didn't have its light spots. It is, ultimately, a film about toys and there's still that sense of wonder as you watch the characters walk through a world of toys. And the jokes, oh dear the jokes. Pixar has an incredible sense of comedy that never verges on immature or crass and neither does it rely on the crutch of pop culture reference. Dreamworks, take note.

The ending hit me like a freight train. I won't tell reveal to you what it was, but it left me crying. Yes, crying. Tears streaked down my cheeks as Pixar once again pulled my heartstrings. It was a satisfying, fulfilling, beautiful ending to a wonderful series.

Thank you, Pixar. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment