Friday, August 13, 2010

World Building #11: Mapping It Out

I've decided that I want to place the setting on the Western Continent™. The sea at the bottom is very nice and gives the Selkies a way to touch almost every other piece of the continent. After some consideration, serious consideration, I decided I wanted to shrink the continent and move it under the equator. Having the setting encompass a continent the size of Eurasia feels a bit... off to me. The scale is too big.

I made my own version of the map, focusing on the western continent and making a few adjustments to the continent.

Lots of islands, flatten some mountain ranges and added others. I overlayed it with the outlines of the plates to give me an idea of where to put ranges. I may draw up climate zones later, but first I decided to draw some vague borders.


This map represents the political make up of the continent at the height of the Selkie Empire's influence. The dark grey, as you may have deduced, represents the selkies. The silvery gray are orcish lands. The blue is for elves, the brown is for the human kingdoms and the yellow is the Dwarven Empire.

At the time of the setting, Selkie territory has shrunk some as humans, elves, and orcs reclaim territory as the selkies wage civil war amongst themselves. The dwarven empire is now the dwarven republic.

The smallfolk are located on islands somewhere on the map. Most likely they'll be on the islands on the eastern gulf.

No comments:

Post a Comment